I attended an online seminar by Nokia’s Jure Sustersic on Windows Phone 8 development. It was a high level session so not much new, though Sustersic says the 7.8 update for existing 7.x Windows Phones is coming very soon; he would not announce a date though.
The slide that caught my eye was one on how to make more profitable apps, including some intriguing statistics. In particular, according to Sustersic:
- Freemium apps (free to download but with paid upgrades or in-app purchases) achieve 70 times as many downloads and 7 times more revenue
- The top 50 apps are 3.7 times more likely to have Live Tiles
- The top 50 apps are 3.2 times more likely to use Push Notifications
- The top 50 apps are updated every 2-3 months
- The fastest growth is in new markets, so localize
Of course what Windows Phone developers want most is a larger market, so for Nokia to sell more phones. Random reboots aside, Windows Phone 8 has been well received, but it an uphill task.
I covered the Windows Phone 8 development platform in summary here.