HtmlEditor :  Phorum 5 The fastest message board... ever.

This is the discussion forum for the HtmlEditor. See also the HtmlEditor home page, where you can download the control, and the Documentation Wiki, a collaborative project for documenting the control.

Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Control Usage Benefit
Posted by: Avi (---.netvision.net.il)
Date: Monday, 03-Nov-2003, 19:17:31

There are two Microsoft posts about "How to Create an HTML Editor Application" and "Creating Editable Web Pages in Internet Explorer 5.5
" (Links below).

Without "getting librarian" on me, could you explain to me in non-techical language what's the benefit of using the "HTML Editor" control over using the .Net WebBrowser (or similar) control and taking the MS approach?

Links:
-----

[msdn.microsoft.com]

[msdn.microsoft.com]

Re: Control Usage Benefit
Posted by: Tim (142.131.246.---)
Date: Tuesday, 04-Nov-2003, 05:38:58

These links address a slightly different need, which is creating an editor within a web page. The HtmlEditor is for embedding an HTML Editor in a Windows Forms application. There are other ways to do this too. The reasons for this particular control were:

- To host mhtml without using Axhost (which has some known issues).
- To make it easy to load and read back HTML without going via a file.
- To make it easy to use some of the more advanced features of Mshtml such as print templates, edit designer
- To explore COM interop with .Net

There is a .Net wrapper for the web browser control in Whidbey although I understand this will not directly support editing features (although there may be a way, who knows?)

Tim

Post Edited (11-19-03 23:42)

Re: Control Usage Benefit
Posted by: Avi (---.netvision.net.il)
Date: Tuesday, 04-Nov-2003, 07:06:39

Thanks, Tim, for your answer. What I understand you're saying is that I get the "meat" without the Cholesterol :-)

My goal is to use this control to supports user-editing. Three more quesions:

1. Does it support Hebrew? How?

2. Does it support Undo/Redo? How?

3. Pros/Cons vs. using an RTF Edit control.

Avi

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
YUjnp
This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator
This forum powered by Phorum.