Microsoft .NET pros and cons :  Phorum 5 The fastest message board... ever.
This is for discussion about the benefits of .NET vs Win32 or other programming platforms such as Java. 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
For: Automatic memory management increases productivity and reduces errors
Posted by: Tim (---.gotadsl.co.uk)
Date: Wednesday, 22-Sep-2004, 20:54:21

.NET allocates memory automatically and uses garbage collection to free memory occupied by objects that are no longer in use. There are three main advantages as I understand it:

1. The programmer no longer needs to write code to allocate or free memory, which increases productivity.

2. Certain kinds of programming error, such as buffer overruns, are not possible.

3. Certain kinds of memory leaks are prevented.

Note that it is still possible to leak memory if your application holds onto increasing numbers of object references. So garbage collection is not a cure-all; but the benefits are still real.

Re: For: Automatic memory management increases productivity and reduces errors
Posted by: ben (12.18.186.---)
Date: Thursday, 23-Sep-2004, 19:20:14

If you want to do anything at all serious with graphics you have to go to unsafe code to get any kind of reasonable performance. A simple app that calculated the average color ranges of images, resized them and composed them into a Pixelated larger image (http://www.wiseley.com/ben/picpix) took hours to run until I converted it to unsafe code at which point it ran in under a minute. The pigware factor seems to be pretty severe in .NET, but, I guess, compared to Java, it's not all that different.

Re: For: Automatic memory management increases productivity and reduces errors
Posted by: viktor (---.informatik.uni-ulm.de)
Date: Friday, 29-Apr-2005, 08:45:38

The shortcoming of the automatic memory management is the performance, e.g. it needs more time to run the program. Especially in the so called component programming language it is worse than commen language(e.g C, C++)Tim wrote:

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
T9HeX
This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator
This forum powered by Phorum.