Microsoft .NET pros and cons :  Phorum 5 The fastest message board... ever.
This is for discussion about the benefits of .NET vs Win32 or other programming platforms such as Java. 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
For: No-touch/Click-once deployment
Posted by: Tim (---.gotadsl.co.uk)
Date: Thursday, 23-Sep-2004, 13:09:52

This .NET feature combines the performance of local installation with the convenience of running from the server. The application is made available on a web server or file server; the user clicks a link to run it. The application is copied transparently to an assembly cache and executes from there. It is not downloaded again unless it has been updated. It can also be run offline if this kind of operation is specified. More details here:

[msdn.microsoft.com]

Comments: Click-once is not so very different from Java Web Start, so not an unique .NET feature. Another point is that some apps may require more complex installation procedures, which need Windows installer or other setup applications. By the way, No-touch is in .NET 1.0 and 1.1, while Click-once is an enhanced version in .NET 2.0. Potentially it combines some of the advantages of web apps (always up-to-date, no installation) with those of windows apps (rich user interface, executes locally). Obviously you still need to have the .NET runtime deployed, and this is Windows-only technology.

Re: For: No-touch/Click-once deployment
Posted by: Clyde Davies (---.dsl.pipex.com)
Date: Sunday, 14-Nov-2004, 11:51:26

Have you had an opportunity to try out ClickOnce yet? We have an old, but incredibly useful, VB6 forms-based application at work which needs to be rolled out globally, and one of the (other) managers is pushing for it to be redeveloped as a Web app. I think this would take far too long, and that we could realise the main advantage of a web-based interface - low deployment cost - by waiting until we can redevelop it as a ClickOnce app. Although I'd like to hear of anyone who has any real experience of this technology before I endorse it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
deadlyvices@hotmail.com
Currently writing the GuideDog editor using MSHTML in my copious free time...

Posted by: gal sont (---.199.118.10.forward.012.net.il)
Date: Tuesday, 16-Nov-2004, 09:00:03

I am also interested on deploying this technology in my company and would appreciate some practical experience from anyone who has experience of this technology.
Thanks,
Gal Sont
Software Development Manager

Posted by: raj mishra (202.88.237.---)
Date: Saturday, 02-Jul-2005, 07:26:39

Yaa i am verymuch interested for this also Any idea

Posted by: Raj (---.spectranet.com)
Date: Friday, 16-Jun-2006, 08:10:07

Hi Devis

It is true that Click once technology is Purely supported by .Net2.0.So if u will think to deploy Your Vb 6.0 by this it seems impossible. Ye, there is a way, u can rewrite your Present Code to vb.net 2005 and deploy the application to by this new feature. It is working fine for my Product as I deployed by this Technology.
Clyde Davies wrote:

> Have you had an opportunity to try out ClickOnce yet? We have
> an old, but incredibly useful, VB6 forms-based application at
> work which needs to be rolled out globally, and one of the
> (other) managers is pushing for it to be redeveloped as a Web
> app. I think this would take far too long, and that we could
> realise the main advantage of a web-based interface - low
> deployment cost - by waiting until we can redevelop it as a
> ClickOnce app. Although I'd like to hear of anyone who has any
> real experience of this technology before I endorse it.
>

Posted by: Graham (---.hc-sc.gc.ca)
Date: Tuesday, 15-Apr-2008, 14:34:20

Yeah, I'm looking for some pro's/con's for ClickOnce. My company is looking into wether we should use it or not. Anyone have some cons? I have found plenty of Pros but I would like to know is there's anything I should know that we might not like.

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Cp7kt
This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator
This forum powered by Phorum.