Thought-provoking post from Joel Spolsky on web client APIs. He says that whoever has the best AJAX library will be the next Microsoft.
Spolsky dismisses “the p-code/Java model” (which would include Flash and Silverlight 1.1 as well as Java applets):
Sandboxes are penalty boxes; they’re slow and they suck, which is why Java Applets are dead, dead, dead. To build a sandbox you pretty much doom yourself to running at 1/10th the speed of the underlying platform, and you doom yourself to never supporting any of the cool features that show up on one of the platforms but not the others.
Personally I hope there will not be a “new Microsoft.” I’d like to see diversity based on web standards.
- Would you consider running PHP on Azure? Microsoft faces uphill battle to convince customers.
- The battle to be part of the emerging cloud stack: Force.com for Google App Engine
- Microsoft Office 365 and the battle for simplicity
- How infectious is the GPL? Battle of words between WordPress and Thesis
- Developers still miss VB6