It is always good to learn a new language so I took advantage of the holiday season to look more closely at TypeScript. At least, that was the original intent. So far I have spent longer on configuring stuff to work, than I have on actual coding. I think of it as time invested rather than wasted.
As long-term readers will know I am working on a bridge (the card game) website which has been used successfully over the lockdown period. I put this together quickly in the first half of 2020, reusing a unfinished Windows project and taking advantage of everything I could get without having to code it myself, like the ASP.NET identity system. So it is C#, ASP.NET Core, SignalR, runs on Linux on Azure App Service, and mostly coded in Visual Studio, with a few detours into Visual Studio Code.
Still, it is working and I have achieved some of my goals – but the AWS Chime SDK file is still huge, just 30K smaller than before, which is disappointing. Perhaps there is something I have missed. I will be coding in TypeScript now and look forward to further refactoring as I get to know the language.
Update: I have abandoned this experiment. There were niggling problems with the WebPack bundles and I came to the conclusion that is it unsuitable for a multi-page application. A shame as I wanted to use WebPack; but for the time being I am just using TypeScript with terser. This means I am using native ES modules in the browser and I intend to write up the experience soon.