Embarcadero’s David Intersimone has posted more details of what is coming in the new version of Delphi and RAD Studio XE2, to tie in with an international publicity tour.
One intriguing comment is a reference to FireMonkey:
with FireMonkey, the GPU-powered next-generation application platform, you’ll be able to create visually stunning HD and 3D business applications
Here is the teaser list of features:
- Create GPU-powered FireMonkey applications
- Build 64-bit Delphi applications
- Create a single application and target both Windows and OS X
- Extend your multi-tier DataSnap applications with new mobile and cloud connectivity in RAD Cloud
- Connect any visual element to any type of data using LiveBindings™
- Modernize the look and feel of your Windows applications with VCL styles
- Create mobile-optimized web applications and standalone apps for iOS and Android devices using RadPHP
I was not greatly impressed with Delphi for PHP when I first looked at it. That was four years ago though, and since then Embarcadero has acquired Qadram, the third-party developer behind Delphi for PHP, so I would expect something more worthwhile in the forthcoming new version.
Update: Embarcadero’s Andreano Lanusse has posted more details about FireMonkey.